When you want to avoid distractions during the workday or prevent your children from accessing inappropriate websites, you can block websites on Chrome. Fortunately, Chrome’s features make blocking any website on your desktop and mobile devices simple and quick. In this blog, you can learn how to block websites on Chrome for a safer browsing experience.
How to block websites on Chrome and how does it work?
If you block websites on Chrome, you will not be able to access them. You can search for the URL or click on it, but Chrome will display an error page instead of the website. You can learn how to block websites on Chrome using a browser extension, a WiFi router, and other methods. With this feature, you can prevent your devices from malware, control kids’ internet activities, and increase productivity at work by filtering or limiting particular websites. If speed is important to you, Chrome keyboard shortcuts will also help you get more done in less time. Here is how to block websites on Chrome on different devices.
Block websites on Chrome on a Desktop
According to experts, the simplest approach to block websites on Chrome on a desktop is to install a browser extension. BlockSite, a free website blocker for Chrome with over one million users, is recommended.
- To install BlockSite on your Chrome browser, go to the Chrome Web Store and search for “BlockSite,” then click “Add to Chrome Button” > “Add extension.”
- On the top right-hand corner of your screen, click the orange shield icon.
- To enter BlockSite’s settings and generate a password, click the gear icon at the top of the pop-up window.
- You’re now ready to start blocking websites. Click the “Block Sites” option in the menu on the left of BlockSite’s settings page, and then type in the URL you want to block.
- To block websites on chrome with BlockSite in a different approach, go to the site you wish to block, click the BlockSite shield icon, and then click “Block this site” in the pop-up box.
- If you try to access a restricted website now, you’ll see an image of a disappointed puppy instead.
People Also Read: How To Remove Write Protection From USB Windows 7
Block websites on Chrome on an Android
BlockSite offers an app for Android phones to block websites on Chrome, in addition to its extension for desktop computers.
- In the Google Play Store, look for the BlockSite app and install it.
- To gain access to your phone’s privacy settings, follow the app’s instructions.
- To block a website, click the “+” sign and type the term or domain name of the site you wish to block into the search box.
- To save, tap the site and then click “Done.” When you type the URL of the restricted site into the Chrome app, you’ll get the same dejected puppy as on your desktop computer.
Block websites on Chrome on an iPhone
No app is required to block websites on Chrome on newer iPhone models, which can be done through the phone’s privacy settings.
- Select – Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the “Web Content” option present at the bottom of the menu.
- From the drop-down menu, click on “Limit Adult Websites”.
- Enter the website URL you want to block under “Add Website.” The Chrome app on your phone will no longer be able to load that page.
Block websites on Chrome without using an extension
If you don’t want to utilize a Chrome extension to block websites on Chrome but have a Google Admin account, you can still use Google Chrome’s BlockList URL feature to do it on your desktop.
- Go to the Homepage after log-in in to your Google Admin account.
- Select – Devices > Chrome > Settings > Users & Browsers from the drop-down menu.
- Select the top organizational unit or a child organizational unit to block a website for all users and restrict access to children.
- Scroll down to the “URL Blocking” option present at the bottom of the page.
- Enter the URLs you want to prevent visitors from visiting under the “Blocked URLs” tab. Up to 1,000 URLs can be blocked.
- Select “Save“.
Read Also : Fix a Slow iPad With This Simple Guide
Block websites on Chrome using a WiFi Router
Many WiFi routers, on the other hand, allow you to block websites on Chrome and other browsers from any WiFi-connected device, including laptops, tablets, and smartphones.
- First, make sure your router’s default IP address is 192.168.1.1. The IP address of a Mac may be found in System Preferences > Network > WiFi or ethernet.
- On a Windows computer, launch “Command Prompt,” type “cmd,” and hit enter to get your router’s IP address.
- Then type “ipconfig” and click enter once more. The address of your router will be present under “default gateway.”
- Copy and paste the IP address of your router into Chrome’s search bar, then hit enter.
- On the pop-up login page, enter the login details for your router. You can find your login information on the documentation or box that came with your router if you don’t remember it.
- Now, to block websites on Chrome, go to the prohibited site settings page on your router, which will differ depending on your router. Blocked site settings, for example, can be found under the Security tab on Netgear routers.
- Then, in the “Block Sites” box, type in the keyword or domain names of the websites you want to block.
- To save the blocked website on your wifi router, click “Add Keyword.” Any WiFi-connected device will now be unable to access the website.
Unblock the block websites on Chrome
Have you reconsidered your decision to prohibit a website? Following these simple steps, you can always unblock websites in Chrome.
- To unblock websites in the BlockSite app, hit the “Settings” icon and use the red button to erase the websites from your list.
- By clicking the shield symbol and heading to Settings > Blocked Sites on your desktop, you can remove websites from the BlockSite extension. Then, next to the website you wish to unblock, click the red circle.
- Return to your URLBlockList menu and remove the domain under “Blocked URLs” if you have blocked websites on Chrome’s URLBlockList.
- Returning to the banned site settings and clicking “Delete Keyword” on your WiFi router will allow you to unblock websites.
You can block websites on Chrome for any reason. Safety is probably a top priority for you; this is because you care about online privacy or security; and for that reason, current web browsers, such as Chrome, have built-in options that make browsing malicious websites difficult. To browse a ‘poor’ website, you’d have to go past an extremely noticeable popup and you can immediately block that website now that you know different ways for how to block websites on Chrome.